Friday, February 20, 2009

Organics and world hunger - Organic Matters, February 19

New Names

In my last newsletter I talked about how much rain we'd been getting in southern California. You cycling fans (like me) who have been watching the Amgen Tour of California know that it didn't let up very easily, and not just here in the southern part of the state. Today, however, I'm on a business trip in Toronto and watching the snow fall furiously. I don't mind it since I won't have to drive in it, but it sure is cold.

We're welcoming two new sponsors this round. Both of these serve the U.S. market.

Eggology , or as they prefer "Eggology's Eggshilarating Eggstravaganza." 100% pure, pasteurized, organic, fresh, kosher, USDA-approved eggs. Makes me wish I weren't allergic to them!

MixMyGranola, Inc. - now here's one I wouldn't have expected. Choose a base, add your favorite ingredients, and let them mix it up and ship it wherever you like in the U.S. Gift certificates too - wouldn't that be great for the hikers on your gift list? Plus...buy four, get the fifth on the house. How does Winter Berry Bliss sound right about now?

Not so healthy after all



We've been taught since childhood to eat our vegetables. Like them or not, they're good for us. While I'm not about to say that's not true, it may not be quite as true as we think.

I've heard this before, but here's new support for the idea that the nutrition behind conventionally grown fruits and vegetables ain't what it used to be. Horticultural Science recently published a report discussing three recent studies comparing current nutritional values of various foods with historical ones. Surprise...as modern and advanced as we are, our 2009 foods are found lacking.

The "dilution effect" of overfarming appears to be the culprit. Food draws its nutrients from the soil in which it grows. Those nutrients aren't unlimited. Simply, higher yield means lower nutrients. Simplistically, if I grow three broccoli plants on one square yard of soil, I have more nutritious broccoli than if I grew 30. Fertilization means higher yield. Organically grown crops...no fertilizer...lower yield...more nutrients.

What do you think? Does this make sense to you? Does it make you even more likely to look for organic produce?

No comments: