Thursday, February 12, 2009

Dark Chocolate and Ginger

We recently had a store called Fresh & Easy open in my neighborhood, complete with much fanfare and many coupons. I had high hopes when I visited a few days ago and have a mixed opinion. The store doesn't seem to know what it wants to be. On the one had it has some good fresh and healthy stuff, which is what I expected. The prepared dishes look good and I'd give them a try for a dinner party. It has a reasonable selection of organic products, On the other hand, the fresh produce selection was limited and it has decidedly unhealthy stuff - like commercial candy. So it has some elements of a Trader Joes-type store, but with some Safeway mixed in, and not large enough to do justice to either.

But...in the interest of research, I saw that they carry their own line of organic chocolate. Wanted to check that out, remembering how unimpressed I'd been with Trader Joes' in-house version. Fresh & Easy has something I hadn't seen before: dark chocolate with ginger. Upon review: They aren't kidding about the ginger. It's not a little powder - you can see the pieces of ginger, and certainly taste it. The chocolate itself I found a little dry and a little bland. All in all not really my cup of tea, but if you're a big fan of ginger you might find this quite a treat.

No comments: